Thursday, April 24, 2008

The price you pa y

Well, there was ab big whoop tee doo on the forums at Cafepress yesterday about pricing. Happens now and again.

Every once in a while I leave the sticks and head for the big city, Cheyenne, WY usually, last weekend I was in Lincoln, NE. I always hit the malls and check out the prices of shirts. I'm always amazed, especially if you stop in the sports themed stores. $19.99-$29.99 for a t-shirt that says "Nike, Nebraska, Texas, Kansas," etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of my designs at CP are strictly text and some have text and graphics. I Barrified my prices for several reasons.

1. Like a lot of other sk's I spend a LOT of TIME working on my CP business. You have to wear many hats to be successful. So I want to see some return for my time.

2. When someone shops and buys at CP they are looking for something unique and are willing to pay for it. Even if it is a crappy text design, if it says something to the customer, they will pay to wear the shirt and say it to the rest of the world.

3. I want to make money! I'd rather sell 5 shirts with $10 mark up than 10 with $3 mark up.

4. You also have to look at pricing and perceived value to the customer. Some people will pay $20 for a plain white t-shirt at the mall, but would never dream of buying the same t-shirt at Wal Mart for $5. God forbid they were perceived as poor or cheap or whatever. Why do you think some folks drive Jags, Beemers, Vettes, Hummers, etc., when they could get where they were going in a Geo Metro? It's all about what they want to project to the world about who they are.

5. With the economy the way it is prices of all goods are going up, and even with Barrified prices my designs/shirts are not out of line with prices in the mall. In fact as the economy falters, my prices will become even more attractive!

6. As far as screwing the universe with high prices, I"m not screwing anyone, I hardly have my customers by the arm with a gun to their heads shouting BUY MY SHIRTS!

Have a nice day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*standing ovation*